16 January 2008

OK...I thought I posted this before but I couldn't find it. If I did post it, here it is again. Since I'm in the "speak of freaky things" mood, here's my little story.

Back in Fall of 2006, I went to Gunma with a friend who is also into photography. During the day we went around to famous tourist sights and so forth shooting mostly leaves and ropeways and etc. On our way back we decided to stop one last time, as it was getting real dark and our camera batteries were almost dead. We stopped along a river that is famous for it's 14 or 16ish water falls. My friend was shooting close-ups of rocks and the water flow. I thought I'd get away and shoot something else. Since it was dark, along with my camera I brought my strobe and colored gels to try something a little different. I would say I walked about 100 feet and got this shot off to test my strobe and to see if yellow was the color I wanted. I then walked in between the two trees in the center of this photo and was planning on walking down towards the running water. I stopped right at the two trees and I remember thinking what a nice sound the water was making and how my brain was "refreshing" from all the minus-ions I was breathing in. It was so peaceful!

I then looked to my right. Right next to me...I mean RIGHT NEXT to me was a rope tied and hanging from the tree. My body got so cold and talk about freeze! My body was stiffer than a rock and I stared at the rope for a few seconds. I turned away and walked to where I came from. Forget about the photo taking. I was FINISHED! If you're not familiar with Japan, suicide is and has been a common escape for people in trouble or in shame or for whatever crazy reason. And that was the first thing that crossed my mind. Anyway, I waited for my friend to finish shooting before telling him. The second I told him he got spooked, didn't ask where it was but walked straight back to his car quicker than I was even able to....and he didn't even see the rope.

The next morning I downloaded the photos to my computer and that was when I noticed that I actually got the rope in this photo. You'll find it next to the center-right tree. I'd like to say that the rope was too close to the tree or it was a prank or maybe even used for something else (what else...I don't know) and not for committing suicide. But that was the thought that crossed my mind then and still now and for whatever reason it was there for really freaked me out. There, there's my little freak story.