03 July 2008

Cat scratch fever

For those that have been to Enoshima, you will know what I am talking about in this post.

The island is small yet beautiful. The walk from the parking lot alone was fun and interesting, with the little shops and restaurants lined up until you get to the main walkway of the island. Mostly, they were selling shirasu/shirauo (I don't know my fish names in English or Japanese but I tried to translate it on the net and this is what I got: Whitebait and Ice Fish....you choose) in all forms. Raw, fried, deep fried, dried, baked.....you name it and they probably had it. I had the chance to try some raw-shirasu-bowl (raw shirasu on rice) and honestly speaking; I think my worst cooking tasted better than that. Maybe that is going too far. I love raw fish but this was not one that I can say was good. It wasn't gross. It was just....blah!

Anyway, after eating made our way to the main entrance. The first thing I noticed was....cats! Cats everywhere. Cute cats. Ugly cats. Dark cats. Light cats. Fat cats and skinny cats. Just like the shirasu....they had all kinds of cats! In fact, there were so many cats everywhere I sort of forgot to take pics of the more touristy things like shrines, torii, etc. But I got plenty of cat pics!

I'm a cat lover so I enjoyed it a lot. Not just for the photog ops but just to be able to pet them and sit down next to them. My next few posts will probably be of cats at Enoshima so here you go.....


This cat was sleeping on top of a vending machine. The thing did not budge at all when tickling its paws.